What is Swedish Massage?

    Sometimes referred to as therapeutic or relaxation massage, Swedish massage is defined as : Classical Western massage, generally performed in the direction of the heart. Sometimes with active or passage movement of the joints. It is used especially for relaxation, relief of muscular tension and improvement of circulation and range of motion. 
   Through out our education at the Adrian School of Massage we will learn many different techniques, Swedish is where we are beginning. Our instructor is the adorable Erica Jackowski. She is a big personality in a tiny package and SO much fun. She leads our hands on classes. As mentioned before, our classmates are our guinea pigs. You partner up and half of the class is spent with you practicing the new strokes and the other half is spent on the table receiving. Not a bad gig folks. To make it even better, you occasionally will be the demo body and Erica herself with work her magic on you in demonstration. **pick me! pick me!** we haven't taken to arm wrestling for demo body privileges but I tell you it would be worth it ;-)
    Part of our requirements for this portion of our education is to give and receive massages from other licensed professionals. This is a great way to feel the techniques you are learning and get feedback from the professionals when you work on them. You also start spreading your wings by logging 30 hours of practice working on friends and family. We are getting close to starting these hours and I already have a waiting list. I don't think you will have a hard time finding people willing to help you out. Something about free massage makes people start coming out of the woodwork! ;-) It's great though. The more bodies you can get your hands on the better you will be. Massage therapy has a lot of gray area because every body is so different. So while our classroom instruction gives us the black and white guidelines, nothing can replace that hands on practice.
   During the first couple weeks during introduction and history of massage we learned the many benefits of getting regular massage. Other than the obvious, it feels amazing while you're on that table, there are long lasting effects as well. Studies have shown that receiving regular massage can help with :
Anxiety
Headaches
Digestive Disorders
Insomnia
Fibromyalgia
Myofascial Pain syndrome
Soft tissue strains or injuries
    I have suffered migraines for as long as I can remember. My mom said the doctor told her I was the youngest child he had ever experienced in his practice to have to put up with them. I also have my fair share of anxiety. I was really nervous about how these things would affect me being a student on top of all of my other responsibilities. I truly believe by regularly receiving massage for the first time in my life these things have been under control despite the added work load! Its the real deal guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Reasons Being a Massage Therapist is AWESOME!

Staff Bio: Kris Martinez

Mommy and Me: Infant Massage Class at ASM